Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser Al Misnad has been causing a fashion frenzy with style bloggers and writers around the world since Qatar was pushed into the media spotlight last May, when Qatar Holding bought Harrods in London for a whopping 1.5 billion pounds. Since then, she's become every girl's style crush.
But, her faithful fans in Qatar have been looking up to her as their role model and style icon for fifteen years now.
Her style is reminiscent of the fifties and sixties, especially with her dark round sunglasses and the turban-esque way she wears her sheila...just like Jackie O, Sheikha Moza is a woman of timeless elegance, classic and simple.
And believe it or not, it was her turban-style sheila which inspired a flock of female celebrities to take up a turban-wearing trend, from Sarah Jessica Parker to Rihanna and Paloma Faith!
Her favourite designers include Jean Paul Gaultier who designs her custom made outfits, as well as Parisian designer Stephan Rolland and fashion genius Karl Lagerfeld. And, just like every woman on this planet, her favourite shoe designer is Christian Louboutin.
Sheikha Moza's often seen out in haute couture pieces straight from the runway which are custom made to be longer and more modest. Jean Paul Gaultier, Jean Louis Scherrer, Stephan Rolland, Valentino, Dior and Chanel are just some of the big names she has been seen wearing.
Ten Reasons I Love Her Highness Sheikha Moza:
100 reasons had to be narrowed down to just ten, so here we go...
- She has had seven children and still looks absolutely fabulous for her age!
- Even though she is one of the richest and most powerful women in the world, she is extremely modest and humble.
- Her outfits are never OTT...she likes to accessorise with simple and delicate diamonds or one or two pieces of statement jewellery.
- Sheikha Moza is the only woman in the world who can wear monochrome colour head-to-toe and pull it off.
- She is also the only woman in the world who can wear a turban without looking like an air stewardess.
- Not only is she beautiful, she is also brainy. She has not one but five honorary doctorates.
- She has vastly improved things for women not just in Qatar but in the entire Arab World.
- Education is her number one priority and she continuously works hard to reform and improve the education system in her country.
- Sheikha Moza likes to give back something to the world...she is the founder of various charities including Reach Out To Asia and has set up countless projects in developing countries, such as Mauritania and Yemen, to educate women and alleviate poverty.
- She famously outdid former supermodel and wife of French President Nicolas Sarkozy, Carla Bruni's outfit at their dinner at the Elysee Palace last year...what more can I say?
Look out for the November/December issue of Isola Magazine, available in Qatar, the UAE and Bahrain, where I will be doing a feature on Sheikha Moza's style.
Other great posts on Sheikha Moza's style: