Lace is one of those trends which finds it way into every Autumn/Winter show year after year, and this Autumn/Winter is no exception.
On the runway for A/W 2010/2011, lace covered dresses, tops, skirts, coats, bags, clutches and shoes and came mainly in blacks, greys, whites, reds, purples and nudes.
Gucci, Christopher Kane, Dolce and Gabbana, Erdem, Elie Saab, Julien McDonald, Marchesa, Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Valentino, Pucci, Loewe and Givenchy (phew!) are just a handful of designers who chose lace as one of their major fabrics for their A/W collections this year.
There's nothing new about lace popping up everywhere in A/W fashion shows, so what makes this year's lace trend special?
This time around, it is all about mixing and layering lace with other fabrics. A designers' favourite this season is mixing lace with leather. Lace was also teamed with floral prints, funky belts and luxe fabrics like silk, chiffon, tweed and velvet.
How to wear lace
The key to wearing the lace trend is that, like the animal print trend, minimalism is vital. Dress from head to toe in lace and risk looking like a pair of curtains, or even worse, a lady loo roll cover (weird knitted things with dolls' bodies which old English ladies use to cover their toilet rolls...yes, I'm being perfectly serious).
- Mix two trends in one and wear a black lace dress with neutral/camel-coloured accessories, or a black lace piece with other neutral/camel-coloured pieces.
- For abaya wearers, team a lace dress with a good pair of black leggings and high heeled pumps.
- Try not to wear black head-to-toe or risk looking like an old Italian widow. Add a pop of colour with a colourful pair of shoes, or break it up with a bold belt.
- Toughen up a lace dress by wearing an unbuttoned military jacket on top (or, if you are an abaya wearer like me, an unbuttoned, thin, military-style blouse).
- Take a leaf out of Christopher Kane's design book and mix lace with leather. For abaya wearers I advise wearing a sheer lace top with a skirt made out of leather mixed with another material in order to avoid getting hot and sweaty under there!
- For the perfect work outfit, wear a lace blouse tucked into a pair of high-waisted trousers or flares (another trend this autumn/winter).
- Quality, quality, quality-wear good quality skirts, jeans or trousers with your lace to look chic and not cheap.
Celebrity Lace Dos and Don'ts!
|Do like Olivia Wilde, not Britney Spears|
|Blake Lively's lace is romantic...Lady Gaga's isn't|
|Take your lace inspiration from Leighton Meester, not Jodie marsh|
Just found out Eid Ul Fitr is on Friday...so a very big Eid Mubarak to you all!