In strict contrast to the opulent pieces which have been edging their way back into the fashion world post-recession (look at my previous posts), this season has also been about minimalist clothing.
We're talking about simple, clean cut shapes and tailoring in muted shades of whites, creams, greys, beiges, navys and blacks, where less is definitely more. Going minimalist does not mean going plain and boring; this season's minimalist look may mean pared down fashion, but with a luxurious twist.
Minimalism ruled supreme in the A/W 2010 shows for Stella McCartney, Dries van Noten, Celine, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Elie Saab, Calvin Klein and Miu Miu.
The minimal trend is by far the most suited look for work wear as the sharp lines and super tailoring look smart, powerful and commanding...and there is no reason why you shouldn't wear this trend under your abaya...yes, no one will see that you are doing minimalist style unless the flares from your high waisted trousers peek out at the bottom from beneath your abaya, alongside with your high heeled boots or court shoes, but you will still exude smartness and confidence even by going minimal under the abaya.
How to go minimal
- Minimalist fashion does not mean you have to stick to strictly plain clothing...it's all about pieces with little details here and there which draw the eye...for example, a bow, a ruffle, or an area of ruching strategically placed to the side of a blouse or dress.
- Look for pencil and A-line skirts and round necked, collar-less tops and dresses.
- Try to keep accessories as minimal as possible...even dare to go accessory-free!
- Opt for body hugging jersey and wool knit structured dresses worn over opaque tights, teamed with high heels and a classic oversized clutch for a look which oozes minimalist sophistication (under your abaya).
- Mix textures in your clothing.
- Over-the-top makeup is a no-no for this trend...enhance your natural beauty with pared down makeup, which is also right on trend this season.
- Stick to monochrome white and black, greys, navys and nude colours.
- Nail two trends in one by opting for a leather pencil skirt or a round necked, collar-less leather top or shift dress (best worn in winter to avoid unnecessary sweating in the Doha sun!)
- Want to jazz up the look? Add an animal print bag or animal print shoes to your outfit (but not both!)