It's the colour of royalty, papacy and all things opulent and it was the go-to shade for countless celebs on the red carpets at this years Grammy's and Emmy's...purple is in.
And as usual, there were pops of berry coloured hues on the A/W 2010 catwalk, especially at 3.1 Phillip Lim, Oscar de la Renta, YSL and Bottega Veneta.
So what are the rules when it comes to wearing purple?
- This time around, you can do matchy matchy head-to-toe purple, whether it is in the same shade or different hues and not be committing a fashion crime.
- Want to break up the purple? Then team a purple blouse with a black pencil or A line skirt or black tapered trousers (and vice versa).
- Break up a purple dress with a black, silver, gold or embellished belt, black or grey tights/leggings and black, grey, silver or gold shoes and accessories.
- Anti-purple? Then at least get yourself a purple clutch or a pair of purple heels.
- Purple makeup is also right on trend - think berry coloured nails, plum coloured lips and smoky violet eyes ... but only one of these at a time please!
- Purple + velvet, purple + chiffon and pruple + sequins = matches made in heaven.
My Purple Picks
Clutch: Bottega Veneta
|Dress: Miss Selfridge|
Pumps: Christian Louboutin
Clutch: Karen Millen
|Blouse: McQ by Alexander McQueen|
Skirt: Miss Selfridge
Pumps: Gianmarco Lorenzi @ farfetch.com
Statement necklace: Debenhams
Pumps: Alexander McQueen
Clutch: Kate Spade New York
Slingbacks: Velvet Angels @ endless.com
Belt: Miss Selfridge
Ankle boots: Alexander McQueen
|Lace jumper: Debenhams|
Tapered trousers: Topshop
Ankle boots: Aldo
Belt: Dorothy Perkins
Sobe clutch: Louis Vuitton